- What information do we collect?
- How do we use your personal data?
- How long do we keep your data?
- With whom do we share your personal data?
- How do we safeguard your personal data?
- Your rights in relation to your personal data
- Links to other websites and links from other websites to our website
- Children and legally incompetent persons
- How to contact us
- Contact information
We collect and retain personal contact information that you submit to us voluntarily when you request information or an offer from us, when you submit a document for translation or a copyrighting assignment, and when you register or are registered by your employer for an language course. This includes your name, mailing address, web address, telephone number, fax number and e-mail address.
- Financial Information
We collect and retain financial information you provide when you order any of our services. For example, when you ask us to translate a document for you or enter into a contract with us to provide language teaching services we will request your bank account number or data pertaining to any other preferred means of payment.
- Data collected when you visit our website
We block all users who attempt to gain unauthorised access to our servers, computers and website and thereby compromise the privacy of those who make use of our services or visit our website. Each time that someone attempts to log into our servers with an incorrect username or password, the IP address of the person is recorded. If this recurs within a specified period, the IP address is blocked and added to permanent list of blocked IP addresses.
- Data collected through translation and other assignments
The documents we translate often contain personal data pertaining to natural persons. This data is obtained directly from these persons themselves, if they issue translation assignments to us directly, or through third parties who request the translation of documents containing personal data (e.g. notaries, lawyers, consultants and judicial bodies). In the first case, we act as the 'controller' of the data in accordance with the GDPR and, in the second case, we act as the 'processor' of the data and do so under the responsibility of our client, who is the 'controller' of the data. We receive documents, for instance, by email, in encrypted and unencrypted form and protected by passwords or not, through websites that facilitate the transfer of large files, through our own website, by ordinary post, by registered post, by courier and by hand, personally delivered by the client. We regard the way in which a document is delivered as an indication of the sensitivity of the document and an instruction to us on the manner in which the translated or copywritten document should be returned to the client. Unless explicitly agreed otherwise, all documents will be returned to the client in the manner in which they or the assignment was received. We accept no responsibility for any breaches of confidentiality or privacy that may arise from the means of communication implicitly or explicitly chosen by the client. We reserve the right to communicate by a more secure means if we deem this appropriate, desirable or necessary.
In performing our contract with our client
We use the personal data we collect to fulfil our contractual obligations and to carry out assignments. Contact details are used to communicate with clients about assignments and for billing purposes. In addition, the personal data of natural persons is used in the translation process to produce a translated document containing the same personal data. It is not possible to opt-out of this communication and/or to have such data deleted for as long as you have contractual obligations towards us or we have contractual obligations towards you.
Documents submitted for translation will be retained for as long as PLS Professional Language Services B.V. can be held liable for the accuracy of the translation, for confirmation that the assignment has been carried out as agreed, until payment has been received, or in fulfilment of any legal requirements, whichever relevant term is the longest.
Data pertaining to clients or the contents of documents submitted for translation will never been disclosed to third parties for whatever reason, unless we are required to do so by law., nor will such data be used for marketing purposes. Client contact data may be used for marketing purposes if the client has explicitly agreed to this.
Protection of our website, email system, our business and the privacy of clients and involved persons
We monitor and collect data on the use of our website, servers and data connections, including personal data in so far as this is necessary:
- to identify fraudulent activities and transactions;
- to prevent abuse of our website and systems and to investigate and/or report any potential threats or misuse of our website and systems to the appropriate authorities;
- to protect the business and rights of PLS Professional Language Services B.V. and those of clients, visitors to the website and persons involved in any data processing by us or our clients.
We will not even disclose the fact that a company or individual is a client of ours, nor will we will disclose any data pertaining to the client or personal data contained in documents processed by us into translations or otherwise, unless:
- we are required to do so by law or pursuant to a court order or a demand from any other judicial, law enforcement of government agency with legal authority to demand such disclosure;
- it is necessary to disclose such information to a court, judical or law enforcement or any other public authority authorised to adjudicate in such matters to defend the interests of PLS Professional Language Services B.V. or any of its employees against claims brought by the client or the person whose personal data is contained in the documents processed;
- ownership of PLS Professional Language Services B.V. is transferred to a third party and disclosure of such information is necessary to ensure the continuity of service to the client, in which case this shall require the prior consent of the client;
- you have given your consent to such disclosure to a third party for a specific purpose.
We make use of Secure Sockets Layer ("SSL") software to transmit your data across the internet. We use SSL technology for communication via our website to encrypt the data you enter and emails containing private data. We also use special encryption software to encrypt email messages and attached files where clients require this. In all intances, we adhere at least to the standards applied by clients in the method by which they submit documents to us. Our servers and website are protected by hardware encryption software, strict password access and firewall software which is regularly updated. Laptops and computers used to process documents for translation have secure passwords and make use of hardware encryption. Only the sworn translator responsible for translating the respective document has access to documents containing personal and other confidential data. Any notes or printed drafts of documents made during the translation process are shredded before disposal or incinerated on completion of the assignment. Documents older than one year are removed from all computer systems and are stored on a data carrier in a locked and secure safe.
For a full overview of your rights, you should consult the EU GDPR website.
It is your right to ask us:
- for access to a copy of all personal data pertaining to you which we have in our possession;
- to correct, erase or restrict our processing of your personal data;
- to transfer any information you have provided in accordance with your contract with PLS Professional Language Services B.V. or provided with your consent to another organisation;
- to stop processing your information by revoking your consent or to contest the legitimacy of our interest in continuing to hold and process such information.
Your rights in relation to your personal data may be subject to limitations. If we are required by law to do so, or if we have legitimate grounds to do so, we may continue to hold and process your information. Where we process information on behalf of a client who is the controller of your information, you should direct all requests to the data controller. In reply to your request, we will inform you of any limitations or exemptions which apply to your personal data. If you wish to submit a request to inspect or correct personal data, to have it erased, or to submit a complaint, kindly contact Robert Ensor at
PLS Professional Language Services B.V. has no control over nor is it responsible for the privacy policies, data collection or data processing of other websites and internet services. This includes any websites and services to which our website or email messages contain links and any websites or services which link to our website. It is your responsibilty to review the privacy policies of websites which you access my means of links on our website.
You must be eighteen years of age and legally competent to do so to register with our website, to enter into agreements for the provision of translation and other services and to agree to the collection and retention of your personal data.